Monday, March 23, 2009

Angels in Romania

I met a wonderful woman named Roberta, and her husband Doug last week. They run a home in Romania for abused and pregnant girls/women. They actually live in Romania, they were just in the States visiting. Roberta inquired about The Tablet of My Heart, and the more we spoke, the more I felt compelled to offer the book to her. I ended up sending her off with 9 and an audio CD. These girls and their hardships are nearly unfathomable. Talking with Roberta for the brief time that I did, I walked away heartbroken. I only know the name of one of their girls, the youngest; Daniella. I don't suspect her name will ever leave me. Her mother was raped for the first time at the tender age of six years old, by her own father. She lived on the streets of Romania as a run away for 20 years. Beaten by her boyfriend, addicted to drugs and pregnant, she came to Doug and Roberta for help. She lived in their home for victims and they counseled her through the pregnancy hoping to see her through, to move on to live a happier, fuller life. Unfortunately, Shortly after her daughter was born, she fled and returned to the streets. Daniella is three months old and in the care of Doug and Roberta. Thank God, that at the very least this young woman gave her daughter the gift of a chance at hope and happiness by cleaning herself up for long enough to give birth. How heart wrenching on the other hand, that she couldn't find herself worth as much. My story has now traveled over seas and is in the very hands of young women like Daniella's mom, who see themselves as worthless, as I did, because of the wrongs that have been done to them. I hope they find strength in the pages. you see - they don't have many people to talk to about their fight with this demon. Sexual abuse is not a welcomed subject. Finding someone to relate with them, to their pain, is near impossible. It is no easy task to find help and encouragement in a country where, according to Roberta, Sexual "abuse" is not classified as child abuse at all. There is little help for them, there is little compassion for them, and there is little talk about the subject entirely. Prayerfully they can see The Tablet of My Heart as inspiration to talk about their pain, to help them heal from it. An example that there is no shame in being the victim, and inspiration to lay down the burden of pain so that they do not remain one. I will be keeping in touch with them, and as they have inspirational stories that they want me to share, I will gladly pass them on. In the meantime, please, continuously pray for Doug and Roberta. Pray for their victory over abuse in Romania through Jesus Christ. Pray for the girls whose lives they are trying to save, and, when you pray - Don't' forget to thank God for Daniella, I wonder what miracles God might use her for. After all, when you consider where Daniella might be at this very moment, had Doug and Roberta not answered the call....I suppose we can rightly say that her safety alone is a miraculous thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment